May 12, 2013

SISTERS


The first person to share, compare and compete, sisters are bond for ever and know each other better than anyone else. 
Sisters grow up together, helping and supporting each other through the good and bad of life.

Too good to be true? You are not writing a fairy tale? After all, Little Women (by Louisa May Alcott) are not so easy to be found these days...

The Virgin Suicides (by Jeffrey Eugenides) are a powerful (sick) example of how strong a family bond can be.

If your novel requires drama and fights, sisters are an endless source of inspiration. They can be worst enemies. Cruel, soulless, ruthless bitches ready to walk on each other's dead body to prove themselves better. Too much? Just make them complete opposite, so as to underline their peculiarities by confrontation. Think of Jennifer Weiner and her bestselling book In her shoes.

Hard for me to tell, I'm only child! Except, I do have a sister, she is 11 days younger than me, she was my worst enemy in primary school, she has been my BFF through my teenage years, and now she is the sister I chose and for ever will be. People say we are quite the opposite, not just physically but for our lifestyles and preferences (luckily, we do have opposite taste when it comes to boys!)
Every smile, tear, and blushing we share, across the oceans. Wherever my trips take me, she's there for me, waiting at home, my lighthouse, my safety net. 
We may not share the same blood, but we share the same soul.